| Subject: NZ Herald: Timor racketeers seized
in dawn raid by NZ troops
NZ Herald
Timor racketeers seized in dawn raid by NZ troops
06.07.2000 - By GREG ANSLEY
New Zealand troops have broken a militia-linked extortion racket in a
crackdown on organised crime in the western border region of East Timor.
In a dawn raid on two villages, soldiers of 2/1 Battalion NZ Infantry
Regiment and United Nations police officers arrested eight alleged
racketeers.
Among them was former militia leader Domingos Pereira who, with other
militiamen and local hoodlums, allegedly extracted what by East Timorese
standards was a small fortune from villagers whose lives had already been
ravaged by last year's pro-Indonesian killing and destruction.
Action is now planned against at least one other organised gang
operating in the southwest of East Timor in what is intended as a
crackdown on crime and a sharp warning to others to stay clear of the
region.
Military and UN officials are concerned at the growth of crime and
violence in the East Timorese capital of Dili and want to prevent this in
the south.
There is no evidence of links between protection rackets in the
southwest and Dili gangs, but there is concern that networks could
develop, possibly through former militia members who have returned from
West Timor.
The New Zealand battalion commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Martin
Dransfield, said Army intelligence units had reported the appearance of
former militiamen in East Timor's growing underworld, with patrols
confirming the emergence of an extortion racket centred on the villages of
Sibuni and Holmeser, northeast of Suai.
In a classic technique, former militiamen joined by local thugs were
using threats of violence to demand protection money from terrified
villagers, who had alerted special military liaison officers working to
instil confidence and gather intelligence.
Villagers also reported that the gang had stockpiled weapons and
ammunition, including grenades.
Army units swooped on the two villages before first light on Tuesday,
initially arresting five of 10 wanted men in a house-to-house search.
There was no resistance and by late afternoon three more had been
arrested.
Soldiers and police also seized several million rupiah - a huge amount
of money in impoverished East Timor - radio equipment and outlawed arrows
and air rifles.
Colonel Dransfield said the operation, called Katana, was part of a
strategy to attack crime before it took hold, with soldiers cooperating
with UN civilian police in an action that would now move against other
crime groups.
Organised crime in the southwest did not appear to be linked to wider
networks, but instead took advantage of areas left in relative isolation.
"As a consequence ... criminal elements have been attracted to
them and have been able to establish a presence.
"Also, as the militia return home from the west [under
reconciliation programmes], by their very nature there is the possibility
that some will cause trouble here.
"My intent is to track them, to know when they come back, know
where they have gone, and know if they are integrating back as positive
elements of their communities or if they are coming back and causing
problems," Colonel Dransfield said.
"I intend taking the initiative against crime, rather than sitting
around and waiting."
July Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |