| Subject: AFP: Former militia leader on
trial for firearms possession
Wednesday, July 12 8:54 PM SGT
Former East Timorese militia leader on trial for firearms possession
JAKARTA, July 12 (AFP) -
Former deputy commander of the pro-Indonesia East Timorese militias,
Eurico Guterres, Wednesday faced a second hearing in his trial for illegal
possession of fireams, a judge said.
"The lawyers for Eurico Guterres today (Wednesday) presented their
defence," said Judge A. Tobing, the head of the Kupang district court
in Kupang, the main town in West Timor.
Tobing said that Guterres, whose trial opened on July 5 was charged
with illegal possession and carrying of firearms, a charge that carries
the death penalty as its maximum penalty.
"His defence, roughly, is that as a former militia leader,
recognized by the government, he was entitled to carry firearms,"
Tobing said.
He added that at least 200 former East Timorese militiamen had packed
the courtroom, but said their leaders had managed to keep them calm and
orderly.
The trial proceeded peacefully, local police said.
"There were many more militias when the trial opened last week and
today everything went without incident," First Sergeant Ketut
Mestriawan from the Kupang police said.
Guterres was head of the feared Dili-based Aitarak (thorn) militia and
also the deputy commander of the pro-Indonesia Force for Integration
Fighterswhich gathered all militias across East Timor.
The militia, backed by Indonesian soldiers, launched a campaign of
terror and destruction following the pro-independence results of the
UN-held ballot in East Timor announced on September 4.
The militias have been accused of widespread killings, and the violence
prompted more than 250,000 East Timorese to flee, voluntarily or at
gunpoint, to West Timor.
More than 100,000 others fled to the hills and mountains of East Timor
until an international force arrived to halt the bloodshed.
Pro-Indonesian militias fled to West Timor when UN-sanctioned
international troops landed in East Timor on September 21.
Rights activists and humanitarian workers have said the militias have
since continued to rule and control refugee camps in West Timor, often
terrorizing refugees wishing to return home.
Tobing said Guterres' trial will resume on July 19, when the court will
decide whether, based on initial arguments from both sides, to continue to
hear the case.
July Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |