| Subject: UN registration of East Timor
refugees postponed due to security risks
BBC Summary of World Broadcasts Friday, July 14, 2000 Source: 'Jawa
Pos' web site, Surabaya, in Indonesian 13 Jul 00
UN registration of East Timor refugees postponed due to security risks
Atambua: The registration of East Timorese refugees in NTT [East Nusa
Tenggara], planned to begin today, has been postponed. The security
situation was considered too unstable to proceed.
"We have put off the registration process, because it is
impossible to go ahead at present. We will discuss our options with the
various institutions involved," said UNHCR [United Nations High
Commissioner for Refugees] head in Atambua Alias bin Ahmad yesterday in
Atambua.
All day yesterday, no refugees living in their emergency accommodation
tents made an attempt to register. Instead, normal daily activities
continued as usual.
Refugees were engaged in tidying up the area of the tents for a version
of a "Tidy Town" competition. "We couldn't care less about
the registration programme. It is an activity of UNHCR and international
NGOs. It doesn't concern us, the refugees. Better that we get on with our
lives and ignore it," said a refugee, Margarida X da Silva.
At the UNHCR office in Atambua, registration officials, notably
students, were crowding onto buses to take them back to Kupang. "We
are forced to return to Kupang, because security here for the registration
process is very unstable. If we force the issue, there could be a
clash," said a student, Laurensius Carvallo.
He said that, the day before, students there to assist in the
registration process had been accosted, and a Catholic Relief Services
vehicle had been damaged. A certain group had also damaged the UNHCR
office in Betun, Malaka Tengah District. On the same day, students had
been stoned at Sekutren village, Tasifeto Timur subdistrict, which borders
on the Bobonaro region of East Timor.
Carvallo said that the refugees refused to register because they felt
insulted by the UNHCR's proposed use of bracelets and fingertip dye. They
also objected to being registered by students. As well, the refugees noted
no involvement by pro-integrationist [pro-Jakarta] political figures from
the Timor Warriors Association (UNTAS) or from subdistrict and village
administrations from areas where the refugees were living. Refugees also
demanded that UNHCR register [former] military and police personnel, and
afford them and their families the same assistance as other refugees.
It has already been determined that military and police families would
not be registered on this occasion. "The refugees also object to
these international NGOs who employ white people. This is understandable,
as [the refugees] are still traumatized by the poll in East Timor on 30th
August 1999, which involved people from the West," he said.
Therefore, the refugees wanted the registration done by the Indonesian
government and local NGOs...
East Timorese pro-integration figure Florentino Sarmento believed that
postponement of the refugee registration process was caused more by
inadequate familiarization of the process within the community.
Cooperation and communication among all parties involved was lacking...
July Menu
World Leaders Contact List
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
Note: For those who would like to fax "the
powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software
application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge!
Download from http://www.v3inc.com/ |