|Subject: 25 to 45 East Timorese people unlawfully
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 06:01:06 +0000 ( )
URGENT ACTION April 12 1999
NAMES: Between 25 to 45 East Timorese people unlawfully killed, 13 of whom have been identified.=20 Remaining victims are yet to be confirmed. 2 East Timorese people injured in the same incident have been identified.
AND: The following have been identified as being injured in an earlier incident:
VIOLATIONS: Unlawful killings/ "Shootings"/ Ill-treatment /Torture
LOCATIONS: Hamlet of Fatubelete, the village of Vatubou, sub-district of Maurara and Mauboke border between Maubara and Liquica, East Timor
Ref: UA 2/99 The East Timor Human Rights Centre (ETHRC) is seriously concerned about the deteriorating situation in East Timor which has resulted in further unlawful killings and serious injuries, this time in the district of Liquica.
Reliable sources in East Timor have reported that on April 6, members of the Besi Merah Putih (para-military group) and Indonesian troops killed between 25 to 45 civilians with guns and hand grenades. Bishop Belo has confirmed that 25 dead bodies have been found. The killings took place in the church of Liquica where as many as 2000 civilians were seeking refuge from intimidation and violence at the hands of para-military groups in neighbouring districts. A further 5 civilians were killed at a priest's residence in the town.
The following are the names of those killed:
Raimiro dos Santos Ximenes, and Lucas Soares have been identified as two of those injured in the same incident.
The ETHRC believes incidents leading up to the killings began on 4 April at 7.00am with provocation and a shooting attack on civilians from the militia group, Besi Merah Putiih and supported by the military, in the Hamlet of Fatubelete, the village of Vatubou, sub-district of Maurara and Mauboke border between Maubara and Liquica.
This attack left eight people with severe injuries and unconfirmed reports of deaths. Manuel Flores has sustained injuries to both knees and the possibility of severed nerves in the knee. Tomas de Jesus was injured in the lower abdomen and has bladder damage. Francisco Xavier has sustained abdominal and intestinal damage. Jaimito dos Santos has injuries to his left leg and his right hand has been broken. All four men are seeking operations in the government hospital in Dili. Jose Cerlio dos Santos has injuries to his left leg. Manuel Caldiera and Joao da Silva Alexio both have broken left hands. Paulina de Jesus, carrying a three-month-old baby, was injured due to having her back and eyelids sliced with a bollo (machete). These five people are receiving treatment at a Catholic Policlinic in Dili. Crisanto Oliveira was tortured by members of KODIM (District Military Command)
The ETHRC is continuing to make inquiries about the killings and will issue further reports when claims have been confirmed.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send faxes/telegrams/express/airmail letters in English, Bahasa Indonesia or your own language:
* Expressing concern at the escalation of violence in East Timor, in particular, the violations perpetrated by civilian militia groups which have been armed and trained by the Indonesian military; * Expressing particular concern at the recent violations perpetrated by members of Indonesian military and the para-military group, Besi Merah Putih, in the Hamlet of Fatubelete, the village of Vatubou, sub-district of Maurara and Mauboke border between Maubara and Liquica. * Calling for immediate and continuing access to be allowed to all areas of East Timor for UN human rights monitors and international and local human rights organizations, in order to provide ongoing human rights monitoring, and in particular to conduct a full and impartial investigation of the recent violations in Liquica and neighbouring districts; * Requesting the government of Indonesia to take steps to immediately disarm all civilian militia groups in East Timor.
SEND APPEALS TO:
1. PRESIDENT YUSUF HABIBIE President of the Republic of Indonesia Istana Negara Gedung Binagraha Jl. Veteran Jakarta Pusat INDONESIA Faxes: +62 21 345 7782=20 Telegrams: President Habibie, Jakarta, Indonesia E-mail: email@example.com
2. RESORT MILITARY COMMAND (KOREM) Colonel Tono Suratman Markas KOREM 164/Wiradharma Dili East Timor Faxes: +62 390 21 624=20 Telegrams: Colonel Suratman, East Timor (Indonesia)
3. MILITARY COMMANDER REGION IX/UDAYANA (includes East Timor) General Syahrir MS Pangdam IX/Udayana Markas Besar KODAM IX/Udayana Denpasar, Bali INDONESIA Telephone: +62 361 228 095 Telegrams: Pangdam IX/Udayana, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
ALSO SEND COPIES TO:
4. MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS Ali Alatas S.H Menteri Luar Negeri Jl. Medan Taman Pejambon No. 6 Jakarta INDONESIA Faxes: +62 21 360 541 / 360 517 / 380 5511 / 345 7782 / 724 5354
Please also send appeals to: *Diplomatic representatives of Indonesia in your country *Parliamentarians and the Foreign Ministry in your country
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY Check with the East Timor Human Rights Centre if sending appeals after 21 May,1999 ENDS/