Subject: SMH: Evidence of E. Timor massacre wiped away by military
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:06:51 -0400
From: "John M. Miller" <fbp@igc.apc.org>

Received from Joyo:

South China Morning Post Monday, April 12, 1999

Evidence of East Timor massacre wiped away by military

by JENNY GRANT

The bodies have gone. The bloodied house in which they died has been cleaned.

Authorities are wiping away all evidence of a massacre in Liquica and no can stop them.

Soldiers conveniently repaired the priest's house where the massacre took place. An investigation by the National Commission of Human Rights later this week will be difficult and forensic work next to impossible.

Rooms that were covered in thick blood last week have been washed clean. Walls that were riddled with bullet holes have been filled in with putty and repainted. Broken windows and locks have been replaced.

"You wouldn't know what had happened," said one church source inspecting the house yesterday morning.

Sources said soldiers worked for two days removing signs of the massacre. The military claims it wants the house clean so the local priest, Father Rafael, can move back in. Then there are the vanishing bodies.

Military sources said five bodies had been buried in the town of Maubara after the attack by the pro-Jakarta paramilitary group.

Local residents said they saw between three and five trucks take many more bodies away.

Rui Lourenco, from the Commission for the Disappeared and Victims of Violence in Dili, said disposing of bodies in this manner was common in East Timor.

Back to April Menu
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu
June '98 through February '99