|Subject: URGENT ALERT Call for Urgent International
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 00:25:06 +0000
From: Kieran Dwyer <KieranD@zip.com.au>
from East Timor Relief Association (ETRA) http://www.pactok.net.au/docs/et/
Call for Urgent International Action made by Agio Pereira, Executive Director of ETRA (10 April 2345 hours Melbourne, Australia):
News just received from Dili, East Timor report the following:
. ABRI/"MAHIDI" - The paramilitary assassins working with ABRI (The Indonesian army) killed Pedro Nunes, a member of the provincial legislative assembly in Dili, East Timor, today at 1500 hours (East Timor time); 30 people wounded as a result of this attack in Ermera.
. ABRI are now surrounding Dili, the capital of East Timor. Its militia group (referred to as "MAHIDI") coordinates with ABRI to attack selected suburbs in Dili;
. Tonight (Saturday) the ABRI militias are preparing to attack Santa Cruz residents; the MAHIDI/ABRI militias mob are meeting (a small leading group) in the 'Hotel Tropical', next door to the residence of Manuel Carracascalao;
Appeal just received from Dili, an 'SOS' asked for solidarity in the form of immediate action.
We therefore, appeal to you all to
1. Ring and fax your government to inform and demand action
2. Ring and fax media to disseminate news to instigate more action
3. Protest in front of the Indonesian embassy/consulate and mount a vigil in your local countries
4. Fax to the office of the UN Secretary General to demand immediate action
5. Sustain the action for one week & review new strategies according to the developments;
6. Coordinate via this email network all your actions.
President B.J. Habibie
Mr Kofi Annan
Click here for other email and other contact addresses
Agio Pereira Executive Director, ETRA for East Timor Relief Association
Tel Contact for Sunday 11 April: Mobile:0417 22 65 11 or 0414 98 91 58
http://www.pactok.net.au/docs/et/ East Timor Relief Association PO Box 1102 - Parramatta NSW 2124, Australia email : email@example.com