|Subject: UA 15/99 Rev Francisco de Vasconcelos
Ximenes confirmed killed
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:58:00 -1000
EAST TIMOR HUMAN RIGHTS CENTRE 124 Napier St Fitzroy 3065 Australia PO BOX 1413 Collingwood 3066 Australia Tel: +61 3 9415 8225 Fax: +61 3 9415 8218 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Chair: Bishop Hilton Deakin Director: Ana Noronha
URGENT ACTION 13 September 1999
NAMES: Rev. Francicso de Vasconcelos Ximenes - confirmed dead
VIOLATIONS: Extrajudicial Execution
LOCATION: East Timor
The East Timor Human Rights Centre (ETHRC) has confirmed that Rev. Francisco de Vasconcelos Ximenes, of the Gereja Kristetn di Timor Timur (GKTT or Christian Church in East Timor), has been shot dead. The perpetrators were militia, in the company of Indonesian police.
Rev. Ximenes had been sheltering approximately 100 refugees in Hosana Church, Dili. When martial law was imposed, a truckload of police came to the church and told them to go to the police station. Fearing for their safety if they did go, Rev. Ximenes, other church workers and the refugees decided to leave the church and travelled out of Dili instead. In concern for the safety of the women and children, the men separated from them, as it was the men being targeted.
On Friday September 10, Rev. Ximenes was shot on the road to Baucau. He died the following day. His final words were "please voice our voices."
The ETHRC holds grave fears for the refugees who were with Rev. Ximenes, as not all were able to move to safer areas.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send faxes/telegrams/express/airmail letters in English, Bahasa Indonesia or your own language:
* expressing outrage at the extra-judicial execution of Rev. Francisco Ximenes;
SEND APPEALS TO:
1. PRESIDENT YUSUF HABIBIE President of the Republic of Indonesia Istana Negara Gedung Binagraha Jl. Veteran Jakarta Pusat INDONESIA Faxes: +62 21 345 7782 Telegrams: President Habibie, Jakarta, Indonesia E-mail: email@example.com
2. MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS Ali Alatas S.H Menteri Luar Negeri Jl. Medan Taman Pejambon No. 6 Jakarta INDONESIA Faxes: +62 21 360 541 / 360 517 / 380 5511 / 345 7782 / 724 5354
3. MINISTER FOR DEFENCE FORCES General Wiranto Menteri Pertahanan Keamanan RI Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat No 13-14 Jakarta 10110 INDONESIA Telephone: +62 21 366 184 Fax: +62 21 3845 178
4. RESORT MILITARY COMMAND (KOREM) Colonel Mohamed Noer Muis Markas KOREM 164/Wiradharma Dili East Timor Faxes: +62 390 21 624 Telegrams: Colonel Muis, East Timor (Indonesia)
5. MILITARY COMMANDER REGION IX/UDAYANA (includes East Timor) Major General Adam Damiri Pangdam IX/Udayana Markas Besar KODAM IX/Udayana Denpasar, Bali INDONESIA Telephone: +62 361 228 095 Telegrams: Pangdam IX/Udayana, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
Please also send appeals to:
* Diplomatic representatives of Indonesia in your country * Parliamentarians and the Foreign Ministry in your country
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY Check with the East Timor Human Rights Centre if sending appeals after October 28, 1999. End.
World Leaders Contact List The East Timorese need you to speak out for them