Subject: The Age: E. Timor 'totally destroyed' - far worse than feared
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 08:12:21 -0400

also: Convoy's grim survey [The Australian]

THE AGE [Melbourne] 26 September 1999

Timor 'totally destroyed'

By MARTIN CHULOV and SIMON MANN

The devastation across East Timor is far worse than feared - on a scale similar to Rwanda and Kosovo - with up to 75per cent of key regional towns totally destroyed, according to a United Nations assessment.

Reconnaissance flights outside the capital, Dili, have revealed towns and villages laid waste by a month of destruction unleashed by anti-independence forces.

``When we flew over the eastern part of the territory and saw the extent of the damage from the air, it was very clear there were very few people left in the towns,'' said a spokesman for the UN mission in East Timor, Mr David Wimhurst, in Dili.

As the UN uncovered the extent of the devastation in East Timor, the death toll from street riots in Jakarta over the Indonesian Government's new security bill climbed to six with the death of a nine-year-old boy last night. An Australian embassy officer today confirmed that unidentified gunmen had last night fired on the Australian embassy in Jakarta for the second time in a week.

Mr Wimhurst said the task facing the relief agencies is huge, with almost the entire East Timor population of 800,000 people scattered by the violence since they voted last month to throw off Indonesian rule.

Between 400,000 and 500,000 people are estimated to have fled their towns and villages for other parts of the territory, and many are camped in mountains, going hungry.

Mr Wimhurst said about three-quarters of the houses in the eastern towns of Delor and Los Palos were destroyed. Louro was ``almost totally destroyed'' and Manatuto was also devastated.

The UN believes at least 150,000 East Timorese have either fled or been forcibly removed to West Timor and many of those refugees have been transmigrated to the Indonesian mainland.

A humanitarian team is expected to return from Baucau today with an assessment of the plight of thousands of refugees still taking shelter in the hills.

Dili was mostly calm today and InterFET commanders said the security situation had improved. But the build-up of the multi-national force continued overnight with the arrival of 800 troops and a French medical unit.

Meanwhile, a special session in Geneva of the UN's Commission on Human Rights had to be extended to a third day after a European Commission resolution calling for an international investigation of human rights atrocities in East Timor was re-drafted in a bid to placate Asian opponents, including China, Japan, India and the Philippines.

The last-minute manoeuvring came as East Timor resistance leader and Nobel Prize laureate Mr Jose Ramos Horta made an impassioned plea to delegates. ``I hope every one of you at least has the courage to look yourself in the mirror tonight and ask whether you have not become an accomplice to impunity, genocide and war crimes,'' he said.


The Australian 26sep99

Convoy's grim survey

By PETER ALFORD in Dili

A UN convoy yesterday raced to the isolated eastern districts of East Timor to assess what is shaping as a humanitarian disaster.

A helicopter flight over the towns of Manatuto and Baucau on Friday showed the settlements burned to the ground, with only small, scattered groups of people visible.

The convoy left as some Australian peacekeepers took their first break from action to watch the AFL grand final, beamed live from Melbourne.

"All we need are a few meat pies and a slab of beer, and we'd be set," said one soldier, who was making do with coffee and shortbread from his ration pack.

But outside the security of the Australian compound, UN officials were fearing that the East Timor disaster may be far worse than initial estimates.

Since the outbreak of savage militia violence immediately after the August 30 pro-independence vote, more than 1000 East Timorese have been murdered and more than 250,000 people driven from their homes.

UN and aid-agency officials are warning that destruction and looting of food and crops in the eastern districts raises the danger of severe famine within weeks.

UN spokesman David Wimhurst, who returned to Dili from Darwin yesterday, said Manatuto and Leuro appeared to have been burned to the ground, and Lospalos and Dilor were at least 75 per cent ruined.

Commander Lere, chief of the pro-independence Falantil guerillas in the Manatuto/Bacau region, told aid officials on Friday that Indonesian soldiers, not militias, had carried out the widespread destruction and killings in that area.


World Leaders Contact List The East Timorese need you to speak out for them

Back to September Menu
October
Human Rights Violations in East Timor
Main Postings Menu

Search this site                 powered by FreeFind


If your browser does do not support forms use: Search   Site Map   What's New

Note: For those who would like to fax "the powers that be" - CallCenter V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/