|Subject: LUSA: Pro-Indonesia Gangs Kill Five, Force
Thousands to Flee
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:54:30 -0500 (EST)
From: "Sharon R.A. Scharfe" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
28 JAN 99 - 13:53 East Timor: Pro-Indonesia Gangs Kill Five, Force Thousands to Flee
Macau, Jan. 28 (Lusa) - About 3,200 villagers have taken refugee in the southern-coast East Timor parish of Suai after pro-Indonesia militias went on rampage Sunday, killing at least five people, the local Catholic priest told Lusa Thursday. Contacted by phone from Macau, the priest said refugees continued arriving daily in Suai, adding that the parish had neither food nor medicines for the displaced population. He said panic broke out Sunday in outlying areas of Suai when armed pro-Indonesia gangs killed a youth, identified as Fernando Cardoso. At least four other people, including a pregnant woman, have been killed since then, the priest said.
Copyright© 1996 Agência Lusa E-Mail Agência Lusa