Sample Press Release for August 30
For Immediate Release
September 1, 2000
Contact: John M. Miller, (718)596-7668; (917)690-4391 (mobile)
ETAN Calls Indonesian Suspect List "Inadequate and a
Capitulation" Calls International Tribunal Only Option
The East Timor Action Network/U.S. today condemned the Indonesian
Attorney General's announcement that he plans to question only 19 suspects
in last year's campaign of murder and destruction in East Timor.
"The list is wholly inadequate and a capitulation to the continued
power of the Indonesian military. The Indonesians should turn over their
files and suspects to U.N. prosecutors in East Timor and work with the
U.N. to set up an international tribunal," said John M. Miller,
spokesperson for ETAN.
"Indonesia's promises to hold those responsible for East Timor's
destruction will at best be only partly kept. The list of names does not
even cover all those fingered earlier this year by Indonesia's own human
rights commission. This announcement -- combined with Indonesia's recent
passage of a constitutional amendment foreclosing direct prosecution of
past human rights abuses -- demonstrates that a tribunal is needed to
provide genuine justice for the people of East Timor," said Miller.
"This list is far more than disappointing, it is an indication
that the time has come for the U.N., the U.S. and other governments to
call, unreservedly, for an international human rights tribunal," said
Lynn Fredriksson, Washington Representative for ETAN.
"With Indonesian military-backed militia violence continuing
unhindered in West Timor refugee camps and creating terror along East
Timor's border, genuine human rights accountability is needed to deal with
current problems, as well as to achieve justice and reconciliation for
past violations," she added.
"The U.S. would do well to side with the forces of democracy in
both Indonesia and East Timor; support for an international tribunal
ultimately translates into support for greater military and judicial
reform," said Fredriksson.
list issued today by Indonesian investigators fits the pattern of the
Suharto years of targeting lower-ranking officers while letting off their
commanders and political leaders in Jakarta who plan the terror campaigns,
provide the resources and issue the orders," said Miller.
Among those absent from the list are many militia leaders, including
Eurico Guterres and Joao Tavares; General Wiranto, then commander of the
Indonesian armed forces; and Indonesian cabinet officers who funded the
militia, such as then foreign minister Ali Alatas and retired General
Feisal Tanjung, the former coordinating minister for political affairs and
Also missing is former Army deputy chief of staff Lt. Gen.
Johny Lumintang, who has been sued in U.S. courts for his role in the
events surrounding last year's independence vote in East Timor. That
lawsuit is based on the same legal grounds as
the one filed yesterday against Chinese leader Li Peng over his role
in the Tiananmen Square massacre.
For more information see http://www.etan.org/issues/h-rights.htm.
The East Timor Action Network/ U.S. (ETAN) was founded in November 1991
to support East Timorese self-determination. ETAN now works for a peaceful
transition to independence in East Timor. It has 28 local chapters
throughout the U.S.
Note: For those without a fax application on their computer - CallCenter
V3.5.8, is a Native 32-bit Voice Telephony software application integrated with fax and
data communications... and it's free of charge! Download from http://www.v3inc.com/